Avenue of Art
Through Avenue of Art, Better Bankside and its partners aspire to be:
- Renowned internationally for championing and integrating art into Bankside’s urban fabric
- An inspiring neighbourhood where residents, employees and visitors can experience site-specific contemporary art that enriches everyday life
- A place where boundaries are pushed and the spirit of innovation and creative risk-taking is embraced and celebrated - in business, entertainment, and art
- A neighbourhood where art enriches peoples’ experience of the neighbourhood and encourages exploration and fosters happiness
Through Avenue of Art initiatives
- Commissions in the public realm will contribute to the creation of a lively and multi-faceted urban environment, which re-tunes the ‘place’ functions of Southwark Street over the ‘movement’ functions.
- Commissions will contribute to Bankside’s identity and create a cultural content that will give a sense of co-ownership to the diverse groups of people who work, live and visit the neighbourhood.
- Commissions will strengthen the ties between public realm projects and cultural activities both locally and more widely.
- Art will be supported for its own intrinsic value as art.