Events Academy needs you!
Events Academy is back and looking for Bankside businesses and employees to get involved. Could your business deliver a 90 minute workshop to a small group of Southwark young people? Or provide someone with some valuable work experience?
They live on your doorstep, and are fascinated to learn what goes on in the commercial buildings that are on every street. We would love to help you welcome them to your workplace.
About Events Academy
Events Academy is our flagship summer work experience programme where up to eight young people, aged 16-21, join us for the summer. Over July and August, guided by the Events Academy Project Manager, the young people will work together as a team to organise a networking evening for Better Bankside members on 22 August.
This year for the first time we want Bankside Businesses to offer the young people a day’s work experience or longer! Youth unemployment is a big issue and it’s becoming much harder for young people to get jobs.
Events Academy aims to change that by providing crucial exposure to different sectors and careers, valuable work experience and transferable employability skills. It also provides opportunities and experience that help the students grow their networks and get a positive start in their working life.
Ways you can get involved, you can choose more than one!
1. Deliver a 90 minute workshop between 24 July and 11 August. The short workshops your business could provide will help the students’ gain the skills they need to create and run the event, develop their employability skills as well as uncover an insight into different sectors and professions at this key time in their lives.
2. Host a student for a work experience opportunity either between 14-18 August or between 28 August – 1 September.
- Host a student for one day’s work experience.This will provide them with a deeper understanding of the various roles within your organisation. Perhaps work-shadow a colleague so as to try their hand at developing a new skill and see what a typical day involves.
- Host a student for longer than a day’s work experience.Take a student under your wing for longer than a day. Show them the ropes and give them responsibility for a real task. Helping you to develop your management skills and the student to take real ownership of a piece of work
3. Attend the student’s event.Taking place on 22 August from 6-8pm, Bankside location TBC. See the students hard work come to fruition and hear from them first hand about the range of things they have learned along the way.
We will work with you in advance to help plan your session/work experience opportunity and give you tips on the most useful topics to cover. It’s a great opportunity to practice communication and presentation skills and to get really good at explaining what you do concisely and entertainingly!
If you or your colleagues are enthusiastic about meeting the employees, colleagues and customers of the future, living and studying near Bankside, then get in touch. All kinds of sectors and skills are useful, from marketing to graphic design, website development to networking, sales to event organisation and logistics to general project management and time keeping.
Contact Síle Kelleher on email@example.com or 020 7928 3998 to discuss how you can be a part of Events Academy 2017.