Works to commence on Union Parade, Great Suffolk Street
Further to the consultation carried out in the summer of 2015, funding has been secured, designs have been finalised and works will commence to improve the streetscene along the “Union Parade” section of Great Suffolk Street between the junction with Union Street and Surrey Row.
Following from earlier improvements delivered along Great Suffolk Street at Prices Street and the junction at Dolben Street, the stretch of Great Suffolk Street south of Union Street is set to benefit from improvements.
The proposals will deliver:
• A new signalised junction at Union Street / Great Suffolk Street with pedestrian facilities and a raised table
• New yorkstone paving and an extension of the pavement area with a new double loading bay for all deliveries
• Protection of the existing trees and the installation of new planters
• Removal of old street clutter including bollards and redundant posts
• Installation of new cycle racks and seating
• New relocated street lights
• Improvements to the private forecourts and bin stores
The works will tie in with the improvements to the railway arches at Old Union Yard being carried out by Network Rail and due to open over the summer. These new arches will be home to the Union Theatre, the Spanish Theatre and The Africa Centre among other occupiers.